Friday, January 25, 2013

Would you marry you?

Disclaimer: this is a really sensitive subject for some people. This could get really sticky, but I'm writing it anyways. If I offend you, I'm truly sorry and I did not write this with that intention. I'm actually being really honest with you guys in this, so don't judge my past choices and who I was. Enjoy.



If you're like me, you have a list of qualities that you would want in your future husband. You probably want him to be Godly, faithful, loving, with the qualities to be a great father. You're constantly thinking about what HE has to offer YOU, but have you ever thought about what YOU have to offer him? I used to get so caught up in making sure that I was keeping my standards high that I wouldn't think about if I would meet the standards of a man whom I would want to marry.

Let's back track... If you didn't already know, I'm in college. I'll tell y'all the truth. My freshman and the first semester of my sophomore year, I was a little bit of a wild child. I thought that it was adorable to get super drunk and kiss random boys that I have never met. I had a "I don't care" mentality--especially after a big break up with my ex boyfriend of three years. I remember my Facebook picture once was of me "slapping the bag." Classy, I know. Wow... I'm so embarrassed.

Yes, I still go out. Yes, I do have a drink or two when I do go out.  But now will you ever see me sloppy drunk, unable to stand, passed out on the stairs? Absolutely not. Do I find it necessary to make out with guys when I am intoxicated now? No. That's just NOT cute. I've always been a firm believer in the saying "class attracts class." I wasn't making the best decisions before. But I want a man who will be able to handle himself in various situations--alcohol involved or not--and a man who is able to do that is probably not looking for a girl who is passed out in the backseat of her best friend's car. Everyone has a past. Everyone has made bad decisions that they might wish that they could take back. Lord, knows I do.

I was so caught up in having fun and living the single life that I wasn't thinking about the future. I thought that if I acted a certain way, guys would be attracted to me. Guess what? They were... but not in the good way. Don't get me wrong, I was never one to "go home" with a guy, but they would only want me in the moment. I wasn't "relationship" material... I just didn't know it. I thought I was doing what guys wanted... or at least the guys that I was attracted to at the time. (The party boy.) 

I've reached the point in my life where I want to marry the boy that I am dating. Now I've realized the importance of being a woman worth marrying--a future Proverbs 31 wife. If you want to marry a man who loves God, you have to be a woman so lost in God that he has to go through Him in order to get to you. (One of my favorite quotes) Read your bible more, go to church, pray. A man worth marrying will never go after a girl already in a relationship, you shouldn't go after a man who is already in one. Realistically, I'm probably not going to be my future husband's first. Honestly, he wouldn't be mine. But I don't want a man who has slept around with a ton of girls, so I don't sleep around. At all. I try to match everything that I would want in a future husband. 

After I realized that I wouldn't have married the girl that I was, I changed. I transformed myself into a classy, young lady who now has an amazing guy in her life. I couldn't be happier. I was never perfect, and I'm still far from, but I knew the way I was living was not marriage material... and no break up should have caused me to do that.

I could go on for hours and hours about this, but ultimately it comes down to a simple question. Would you marry you? Imagine your PERFECT man. Would you be a woman that he would want to marry? If you have high standards like I do, you probably want a man who has high standards also. Would you meet those?

Think about it. Think about where you are in life and ask yourself... Would you marry you? If you want your true gentleman, make sure you're being a classy lady. 

Love, M.

Note:  Please don't judge who I was. I am thoroughly embarrassed but figured that complete honesty was the way to go. I hope y'all liked it. Comment if you'd like or e-mail us. (Our e-mail address is in the "Contact Us" section of the blog) I'd love to hear what you have to say... unless it's something nasty then you can just keep those mean comments to yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment